Saturday, April 30, 2005

TV Power consumption

I want a new TV. I've been thinking about a projector because in addition to viewing it might be useful for some projects I've been thinking of doing. I wanted to check the environmental correctness of this so I went to metaefficient and it mentioned the low power consumption for LCDs as compared to CRTs. I did a bit of searching for a while but could find nothing about how projectors compared to LCDs.
I continued to search for a while becaue I'm stubborn and seem to like to not work on anything productive. I remembered there were those stickers with the star that I was always removing from electronics. I searched around some more for "ratings" "eco" and "star" before finally landing on energystar . Energystar has no specific ratings on any product or categories of products.
Amazon had energy information where the manufacturer decided to trumpet it. I finally found energy consumption stats at B&H.
I still have no other info about other environmental concerns that might help compare the different technologies (eg manufacturing processes, durability). But my basic finding for a sampling of comparable sizes was very surprising: CRT (Sony 36 inch 240 watts), LCD (Sharp 36inch 224watt), Plasma (Sony 37 inch 350Watts). (I would choose a smaller size but plasma screens seems to start at 37 inches.
The popular suggestion that LCD is multiple times lower than CRT (metaefficient suggestion, Viewsonic, etc ) may need to be reexamined. The indication that LCD and Plasma are roughly equivalent may not be right.
It is hard to compare a projector since it doesn't have a fixed size but the one I am looking at the Epson Powerlite S1 (1400 ANSI lumens) is 200 Lumens and should project over a much larger area.

Before finishing I decided to check if this discrepancy was due to the larger sizes of the TVs I was looking at. There a differences here but nowhere near what is stated in articles 14 inch CRT 60 watts , 14 inch LCD 40 watts).
*Obviously there will be differences between manufacturers but this further indicates that the type of technology is not the best way to predict power consumption.

No comments: