Saturday, April 30, 2005

Powerbookhate

  • Keychain keeps prompting me for password. You are supposed to be able to reenable applications but I don't see them listed in order to do that. This problem started after I changed my keychain password then changed it back.
  • iTunes doesn't have way to do a direct import of mp3 files from internet. This means two copies of the files.
  • iPod doesn't seems to support shuffling of playlists.
  • Powerbook wakes from sleep to check email. Not sure how to turn off.
  • Dock stickies often do not allow new characters at end.

Non-Apple
  • Firefox doesn't have way of disabling extensions without unistalling them.
  • Firefox opens TextEdit on startup.
  • Neooffice lags behind typing when working on an encrypted file. This might be fixed with beta java 1.4 updates.
  • Neooffice has slow startup. See above.



12 inch superdrive Powerbook with Panther

Soft
  • Mail program- "reply all" replies to sender too. No bullets. There is somewhat of a workaround with special characters but the option to insert this doesn't show up for me. It does show up for others on my computer. (Apple tech support was not able to fix this but they did clear away all my old emails while trying.)
  • Address book- has no way of telling you which addresses are unfiled. In minimized mode you can click forward to next address but not in max (it would be useful to scroll in max for bulk editing.)
  • Firefox crashes a lot.
  • Apple techsupport seems as bad as PC support for complex questions
  • Dock Inability to distinguish programs- The taskbar was much better at allowing me to distinguish what my minimized documents were. A text label was better than a tiny snapshot with an even tinier icon. I have my icons set to the largest size but all I can distinguish is some white and grey which I assume to be text and then a blotch in the right corner.
  • Dock often has too many windows for same app- iChat has three.
  • Dock loads mini-windows when I would prefer main one. Often I will click on Firefox icon and it will load the download window.
  • Always creating new finder windows by accidentaly clicking outside the browser.
  • Computer appears to lock when switching users- I believe what is happening is that the account not currently being used shutsdown due to non-use so that when you switch over and the screen is dark and appears non-responsive you may think it is locked.Spotlight
  • Spotlight can't seem to search on exact strings. i.e. "these words in a row". It is not instantaneous and difficult to use while it is searching because link placement changes as the list grows.
  • Excessive power use- closed it disharges in about a day. The thinkpad I used seemed like about a week.


Hard
  • Even with Ignore Accidental Trackpad on I keep going to strange places in the document.
  • Sometimes noisy and hot even when not doing much. (Battery recharging?). Note: This problems seems to have disappeared.
  • 12 inches ends up being too small for multiple docs.

No comments: