Saturday, September 08, 2007

Google Pages should integrate Google applications

Google Pages should make it easy to show all my Blogger posts, Google or YouTube videos, GoogleReader shared items, and Picasa images. These nuggets should be as full featured as possible. None of the nuggets available even come close.

  • The YouTube nuggets show only search or popular videos. I could add a specific video with YouTube generated custom HTML but if I add a new video a week later users will have no way of knowing. It should show icons for the videos I've created with the most recent first.
  • The Blogger nuggets available only do search.
  • There is a Picasa nugget but I was unable to see it. After clicking ok the preview pane still stayed displayed and did not add to the page. The preview pane also didn't show a preview.
  • The same applied to the Google Reader nugget. This nugget appears to have not been generated by Google. In addition during customization it shows the users password in clear text. I don't think the outside developer should be blamed- Google needs to to be responsible for integrating its properties.
I may not have chosen the best available nuggets for these since there were many options shown when I did search. Yet this is part of the problem, Google should be making it easy.


Other notes: Blogger seems to have some function for integrating Google Reader shared items. But doesn't have ability to add any of the nuggets above so it is not a suitable alternative.

Google analytics should also be automatically integrated. There should be no user setup. If not a nugget should be made available.

Google Groups would be good too. A display could be made of all the items I've posted.

No comments: