Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sound recording

After fixing three problems, I got my computer to record yesterday. I'm using a Behringer UB502 mixer with a Sennheiser e825s microphone. The tape outs don't work using outputs from the mainline fixed this. I had to change the sound input in system preferences. Because Audacity only showed one option for sound input this made me forget about other options. Finally the gain had to be turned up quite high.
I kind of expected there would be that microphone hum but there is really no sound when I'm not speaking.
I'm dealing with a mess of wires.

Audacity
I'm still using Audacity to record. Their webpages have a good amount of general recording advice they also suggest Shure microphones such as the sm57 and sm58.
Shure's website has much more support for users

Audacity made the most sense for crappy recordings since it was so light weight.
I haven't tried Garageband again yet. But I may continue to use Audacity unless I find the UI confusing.

Bugs- The mac install is poor. The help file doesn't install. Also the folders are packaged outside of the app. This means I created a new folder somewhere in the applications subtree to house everything instead of in the main folder.
Metrognome
Metrognome is the best of the metronome programs I downloaded. It does sound like the beta version of audacity has a click track. Might be cool to see how the clicks match with my sounds in the waveform.

No comments: